The Court of Pirates
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A literary pirate roleplay based on the exploits of the Prince of Pirates, Black Sam Bellamy

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
COURT OF PIRATES GRAND OPENING! WELCOME!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Va Tek French Tek Amp Belgium Beats
Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 3:12 am by kirama

» Caseros Colegios Ecuador 3gp
Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:17 am by kirama

» Driver Navigator Key Generator V1.0.exe
Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 9:07 am by 

» Driver Navigator Key Generator V1.0.exe
Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 9:07 am by 

» Stardock Deskscapes 3.5 Patch
Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 am by 

» Stardock Deskscapes 3.5 Patch
Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 8:13 am by 

» Memories in an Apple Orchard
Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 8:14 pm by Samuel

» An occurrence at the Tortuga Tavern
Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 9:08 pm by Iriseyes666

» Another risk of being a pirate
Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 9:09 pm by Iriseyes666

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 29 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:48 am
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posting users this week
No user

Memories in an Apple Orchard

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

Memories in an Apple Orchard Empty
PostSubject: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 12:26 am

Just south of Salem and just outside the small town of Eastham Harbor, Maria Hallet walked quietly through an apple orchard. The sun was just setting, giving the whole place a soft orange glow. Maria had convinced her Captain to make port just off the cape for a day, for her to visit this place. Eastham Harbor was her home, but she'd never be able to return there - she'd been imprisoned for witch craft and if she went back, she'd be burned. It made her heart ache to see her family again, but it wasn't possible. As a child, she'd felt too sheltered there, too claustrophobic. She'd been born to a fairly well-off family and had therefore never been allowed to adventure or anything - until Samuel came into her life.

This apple orchard was the place they'd first met - and in fact, the place they'd first consummated their love. She remembered that day, though it was years ago. How Samuel had swept her off her feet. For a few months they'd been inseparable but when it became clear that her parents would not allow their union because of Samuel's lack of a means to support her, he'd sailed off to make his fortune. Waiting for him to return, it was only then that Maria had realized she was pregnant from their first meeting.

That was when the trouble began. The villagers wanted to cast her out, and her parents were ashamed to have a daughter pregnant out of wedlock, especially with the baby of whom they'd find out was a man turned pirate. They'd tried to help Maria through her pregnancy though, as best they could, but the villagers turned on them and declared Maria a witch. She'd been imprisoned, and without enough food to nourish the baby in her womb, the child had been stillborn. The villagers took it only as another sign that she was a witch and had set her to be burned, but Samuel had rescued her. She'd never told him about the child though, keeping it as her own private burden, knowing it would upset him as much as it did her.

It was five years to the day that she had lost her baby and she always returned to this orchard on the anniversary. It was dangerous - if she was caught, the results would be catastrophic, especially because she knew Samuel wouldn't let them take her. But she'd never want him to get caught on her account because they'd hang him as quickly as they'd burn her. Right now, he was probably in another town, gathering supplies. The plan was to meet up that night on the shore and take the boat back to the Whydah. But still, he knew where she was, just in case they had to leave earlier.

As she walked through the orchard, she ran her fingers along the bark of the trees, walking until she came to the very tree under which she'd met and made love with Samuel for the first time. She touched it's bark, and tears slowly streamed down her face as she ached for her lost child, and simpler times when she and Samuel's love was not so looked down upon, when they didn't have to risk their lives every day as outlaws. She tried to control her tears but it was hard, and she was so distracted that she barely heard the footsteps approaching behind her.
Back to top Go down
http://mutepoetess.deviantart.com
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 12:59 am

Maria heard twigs crackling behind her as the sound of steel clanked against each other. She tried hurriedly to wipe away her tears although it was too late for Samuel had heard her soft cry. He approached her slowly, cautious, and embraced her from behind.

Samuel spoke softly, "Why have tears bruised your cheeks?"
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:07 am

Maria had been worried at first that it had been someone from the town approaching, but relaxed more when her Samuel's arms were wrapped around her. She reached back and caressed his cheek, feeling safer in his arms than she would anywhere else. "Oh, my love," she said, trying to laugh a little to veil the real reason for her tears. "Just the memories, of this place, of the town, of..." she paused, her eyes looking far away, remember her child, but she shook herself out of it, changing the subject. "You do remember what's so special about this tree, don't you my love?" she asked him.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:11 am

"How could I possibly forget," Samuel walked around Maria to the tree, "this is the place were we first made love, were we gave ourselves to each other." Samuel placed his hand on the tree then turned around and saw Maria's red eyes. "There is more to it than just that. Isn't there?"
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:17 am

One of Maria's hands rested unconsicously over her stomach as she remembered, but she shook her head. "Oh, love, just the happiness of the memory is all." Again she decided to change the subject, and it was a question she'd been meaning to ask anyway. "But darling, we were supposed to meet down on the shore when it got dark," she said with concern for though the sun was setting, it was most definitely not dark yet. "Has something happened? Do we need to leave?"
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:22 am

Samuel took immediate notice to her hand placement and the tone she carried in her voice. Samuel knew not to press subjects with Maria however, he knew she had been holding back. Samuel approached Maria and held her.

Maria had known Samuel couldn't possibly know about the lost child yet, it was in the way Samuel held her that hinted to her he knew something. Samuel pressed his lips to Maria's sweetly for a moment or two. Pulling away and locking eyes, "You know Maria, we need not to keep secrets between us, and you know it was not your fault."

He held her tightly as the sun casted this beautiful glow throughout the orchard. "We're safe," Samuel said, "we've got time if you want to stay."
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:26 am

Maria nodded and smiled weakly, her eyes tearing up slightly again. "I'd like to stay, at least until it gets dark. I know we can't come here often for fear of being caught but I cherish being able to visit it." She sat down with her back against the tree, tugging on Samuel's hand to have him sit with her, but then she paused, thinking of something he'd said. "What's not my fault, darling?" she asked him. She was nearly certain he didn't know about the child but then, Samuel was very perceptive.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:33 am

Samuel stabbed his rapier into the earth letting it stand there, Samuel disarmed himself which wasn't seen often, and plucked an apple from the tree. He sat next to his Maria and pulled out a small cutting knife from his boot. He cut the apple in half giving half to Maria to eat. Samuel, didn't lock eyes with Maria immediately, it struck Maria as if he was choosing what to say to her. Samuel was always a very articulate speaker, knowing what to say, when to say it, how to say it especially when it came to Maria though sometimes his own frustration flustered him into saying stupid things. He looked up at the tree and spoke softly,

"When we plant a seed at random, we don't know what it will be come. We can pray and hope for a cherry tree, but we might get oranges. Sometimes we get nothing at all. It doesn't mean the land wasn't fertile, just sometimes the environment might be to harsh on against the seed."

Samuel looked to Maria hoping she'd understand as he tried to say it delicately.
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:40 am

Maria thanked Samuel and nibbled on the apple until she realized what he was saying - he knew. She looked over at him, then back at the apple in her hands, tears sliding slowly down her cheeks. "I tried so hard, Samuel. I tried to stay healthy for the baby when you left. I knew you'd come back, and I believed we could start our life together, have our own family. I wanted that, so badly." The tears came faster now and she had to fight to keep her voice down and calm. "When they put me in prison, I... I wasn't getting enough food and they weren't exactly... gentle with me all the time. There was nothing I could do but still I blame myself. Our child, Samuel, our child that never even had a chance to live." She bit her lip and looked at him. "How did you know? How long have you known?" she asked him curiously.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 am

Samuel wiped every tear and helped her calm down. When she finally stopped crying and she slowed her breathing and she was at peace again. Samuel stated, "the way you felt your stomach was my hint. I hadn't known until now. Though I had suspected for a while. If our child was born, I know for certain you'd have been a brilliant mother. Maria, we cannot blame ourselves for the recklessness of others. Though, I wish I had stayed. I could have defended you, protected you, and made sure you were safe." Samuel shifted so he could meet Maria face to face, "I have always wondered, I know this isn't the life you expected. You did come from a better family than myself. I guess, I question your happiness. Not so much your love for me but your happiness for the life you have."
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:58 am

"Oh, Samuel," she said, looking into his eyes and caressing his cheek. "I love sailing with you, under your flag with you as my Captain and my husband. I do, I swear. I just think about it sometimes... It wasn't fair to us," she said, looking away. "My parents, though I know their intentions were good, I wish they'd have just let us be married. We could've lived a life on the Cape, raised our family, not had to worry about dying every other day at the hands of sailors or Navy Guards." She shook her head. "I always wonder what our child would've been like. If he or she would've been as adventurous as you and I. I think about it all the time, but I know a pirate ship isn't exactly the place to raise a family." She sighed and looked up into the branches of the tree, the red sunset shining through them. "I look at little John King sometimes, he's only ten yet this is the life he's chosen for himself, and it makes me wish, and wonder if we could make it work, having a child and continuing to pirate..." She chuckled and shook her head, looking back to her Samuel. "But I know it's foolish. I'd be useless to the crew and our ventures for nine months at least, and many after. But my love, I still adore the life we have. I know the sea is in your blood and now it is in mine too. I'd never want to give it up, this pirating life I have with you." She kissed him sweetly, thinking about how lucky she was that she had him at all.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:06 am

"Maybe aye or nay." Samuel said in thought, "Perhaps, one day, we will obtain a decent amount of wealth and give up this pirate life. As much as I adore sailing and adventuring, I'd rather give you the life you want. My crew, well, they are -my- crew. They'd have to live with the choices I make for the rest of their lives and if they don't like it, I'd strike them all dead."

Samuel stood up and walked a few feet before Maria, she sat and stared, looking outward as if studying the sun, the trees, and the wind that blew across the fields and the very same winds that nuzzled the branches.

"Maybe Maria, just maybe."
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:10 am

Maria stood and followed Samuel, wrapping her arms around him and resting her head on his chest. "As long as I am with you, my Samuel. As long as I am with you, I will always be happy." She leaned up on her tip toes and kissed him again, then noted that twilight was coming on, and the darkness was encroaching. "It is getting dark, my love. Shall we return to the ship?"

But it wasn't to be for then came a shout. "Who goes there?" rang through the orchard and lantern came bobbing toward them in the semi-darkness. It was one of the people from the village. Maria clutched Samuel's arm.

"Whoever it is will recognize us right away," she hissed in a whisper. "They all know both our faces, Samuel, we have to get out of here."
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 2:19 am

"Maria, lay low behind the tree." Samuel said, "I'll see if the gentleman will mean us harm or not. I believe it is just the grounds keeper." Samuel eyed the fellow approaching as Maria took cover. Samuel poetically pulled his rapier from the Earth and held it in formal, yet nonthreatening position.

"What does thou have with us?" Samuel spoke firmly, "we mean no harm to your orchard."

The fellow came towards Samuel and it appeared from the distance it was an elder man. "I, fellow, am the groundskeeper. The orchard is closed sir."

"Good fellow, if I pay thee with gold, will thou let us stay in this spot for a while longer?"

"I, eh, I see no harm." Said the elder man. "I, I take it the guards will be walking about though sir, I give time but only a small amount."

Samuel handed the gent a small bag of gold. "Take sir, purchase yourself anything you like."

"Thank you sir" The elder man went walking towards the hunt where he'd have lived in.

Samuel chuckled then spoke, "Amazing."

Turning his attention to Maria, "Are you okay sweetheart? He has left, we have time but not much."
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 4:17 am

Maria kissed her Samuel's cheek, glad there'd been no trouble. "We don't want to tangle with the guards, not this close to Eastham," she said, "and we've no guarantee that the groundskeeper won't mention us to them, or to someone else. Even though he didn't recognize you, anyone else in town surely would by the man's description. It is probably best that we leave, my sweet. The boat should be waiting for us down on the beach already anyway." Maria took Samuel's hand in hers.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 4:20 am

"Lets go then." Samuel took Maria's lead and off they went into the night to the docks.
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 4:53 am

When they made it back to the shoreline, one of the Whydah's crewmen was waiting in a small rowboat to ferry the two back to the Whydah, but it became clear very quickly that something was wrong. In the darkness, the lights of another ship drawn close to the Whydah shone brightly. Maria's eyes grew wide with fear for it was a ship she recognized the shape of the ship. "Samuel," she said quickly as their crewmen rowed them closer and closer to their ship, "that ship, that's--" and then the blast of a cannon shattered the quiet night.

Maria let out a little yelp of surprise, and it was clear that the Whydah was under attack. One of the townspeople of Eastham must've spotted it as it pulled into the harbor in the twilight. "It's the Dauntless, Samuel, that's a Royal Navy ship! They'll try to sink the Whydah!" She should've known that after her and Samuel's association with the town of Eastham, it would be put under watch by the Royal Navy. "Crewman," she said, "bring us around the starboard side, and we'll pray that cover of darkness grants us safety until we can board the ship."

More cannon fire rang out and as they drew closer, gunshots could be heard carrying across the water as well. They pulled up to the starboard side of the Whydah where a ladder had already been lowered in preparation for the arrival of the Captain and the first mate. Maria stood and quickly scaled the ladder, lowering the ropes for the rowboat to be brought up as well. The Whydah seemed to be doing alright. As a previous slave vessel, it was armed to the teeth so to speak. She'd taken a couple hits from the cannon, but the Dauntless seemed like it was struggling.

A few Royal Navy red coats were attempting to board but they were quickly cut down by the crew of the Whydah who were fighting valiantly to protect their ship. The second mate, the nineteen year old Miskito indian John Julian came running up to Maria and Samuel. He was out of breath from the fight, having been in charge as second mate while Maria and Samuel were gone. "Captain," he panted, "They attacked us almost as soon as we came into the harbor - we've been fighting to stall for time for you to return, but now we await orders. Do we sail? We can outrun the Dauntless, we're faster than she is. Or should we fight?" The crew held their breath, waiting for their Captain's word. Most would prefer to run - it was safer, and they longed to be out on open water. Plus, the Dauntless was heavily armed as well. There would be no guaruntee they could actually win a fight. But turning tail would leave a bad taste in their mouths as well. Maria ran for the Captain's cabin to fetch her cutlass. Another man ran up, handing Maria her cutlass which she had left on the ship. She felt better with its weight in her hand.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:19 am

Samuel looked about, the ship was still in great shape. The damage was very minimal as the aim of the Dauntless was horrid. Another plank was placed between the two ships as guards tried to make their way across. Samuel looked on, thinking running would be the best option. As crewmen/women looked at Samuel awaiting orders.

"No." Samuel spoke outraged, "We shall not back down, we are not cowards. We are not to be bullied by the royal navy. We. Are. Pirates!" Most cheered, most looked terrified. "Miskito, get all the younger crewmen, women, and those who cannot fight down blow. Grab the bigger men and let them fire the cannons. I will handle the captain of the ship and the rest of you, hold down the ship!"

The orders were given and carried out. As Samuel was about to move forward, Maria grabbed his arm angrily.
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 12:29 pm

"Samuel," Maria said. "The Dauntless is a formidable enemy. If we are not going to make for open water then we will need all hands for this fight. Every man and woman aboard this ship knows what they signed up for, no matter their age. Even John King can help - he can run powder for the cannons." Maria said this not to undermine the command of her Captain but to keep the crew on good terms. "They will not appreciate not being allowed to fight - they all can wield a sword well enough and our losses will be less if we have more to fight." She kissed him and drew her cutlass from its scabbard. "Just as is it hard for you, my Captain, to let me fight, I know the risks and I will defend the Whydah and my Captain with my life if necessary," she said. Her eyes were decided as if she dared Samuel to argue with her. "Tell Julian to make sure that all have proper arms and-" she continued but more cannon fire was heard and a shout of "Prepare to board!" as suddenly a sea of redcoats swarmed onto the Whydah's deck.

It wasn't a smart attack - the Royal Navy were not apparently confident that the officers boarding the vessel would be able to take her crew, so part of the Guard remained on the Dauntless, firing cannons still, which felled Whydah crewmen and Navy guards alike. Maria turned from her love and leapt into the fray, matching swords with Navy men and shouting, "Defend your ship, men! We'll cut them down and take the Dauntless for our own!"
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Samuel disarmed Maria. "No. We not have both of us sacrifice our lives for this ship nor these men. You and Miskito will lead the assault with the cannons and secure what crewmen/women whom can't fight in the lower bridge. End of story."

Samuel handed Maria her cutlass and continued onward towards the planks. Samuel and a fellow crewmen, shifted the boards until they fell in between the two monster ships. Maria tried to get Samuel's attention but to no avail, he ignored her until she forced him to turn around.

"Maria, we cannot discuss this right now, I urge you please do what I've commanded."
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Maria glared at her Captain as she retreated with John Julian to the lower bridge, gathering those who were in no shape to fight, against their many, varied, and colorful protest. "Captain's orders," she grunted by way of explanation over and over again to the disgruntled few. "Below decks, starboard side, to safety," she commanded and they listened to her when she had that look in her eye. Maria didn't blame her Samuel and she loved him with all her heart, but she was first mate of the crew and if she didn't fight, it didn't set a good example for the rest of the men. It also showed a bit of favoritism, she feared, that would create unrest among the crew. But mostly, it bothered her because if her Samuel was going to be risking his life, she wanted to be fighting right there along side him. She sheathed her cutlass and began issuing commands to the cannon men.

The fight continued on, and above decks it was possible to hear the sounds of more Red Coats trying to board the ship. The Whydah took a few more hits from the cannons, but nothing so severe. A few men had been injured by gunfire, but none by the cannons so far. The Dauntless was struggling more and more. John King ran between the cannons delivering gun powder and pausing every so often to stare out at the Dauntless; he was young and still so enamored with the life of piracy, danger be damned. On one such pause, Maria heard a cannon blast and saw the smoking cannon from which the ball had been fired. The world moved in slow motion as she grabbed John King by the collar and jerked him to the side, the cannonball tearing a hole in the ship right where he'd bee standing. "Careful, powder monkey," she said as his eyes widened with fear. "You've got to keep moving." More cannons, more gunshots, and in the dark of the night suddenly an orange glow from the upper decks. Something must've caught fire. "Julian!" she shouted, "Take over command, I'm going up!"

She raced to the ship's ladder and climbed above decks despite Samuel's orders. Her argument would be that she was just there to help with the fire so that the Whydah didn't burn while her crewmen defended her from cannon fodder. Still, she unsheathed her cutlass as she went, cutting down Navy Guards in her path.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 7:32 pm

After knocking down and submerging all the planks the Navy Guards used to board the Whydah. The Navy Guards began using their rifles more so than close range combat. The remaining guards on the ship tried to hold their own. Samuel spotted Maria fighting on the deck of the ship. His worry for his Maria ignited as he saw a guard approaching her from behind,

"Maria!" Samuel called out, she turned to face him, "Duck!" Maria turned quickly to see a Navy guard with a dagger ready to stab her, she was caught off guard and she stumbled to the floor. Suddenly she saw the guard drop to the floor as a dagger penetrated his forehead. Samuel walked over to Maria and the now dead guard, Samuel removed the dagger looking at Maria with a look of concern but his eyes read, why risk your life.

Samuel withdrew his rapier to catch another rapier blade, the blades formed an X over Maria. Samuel shoved the guard back quick forcing the rapier blade back exposing the chest of the guard. Samuel lunged forward killing the guard. There was a moment, Maria had, as she sat there watching her Samuel fend off the men who aimed to harm her. Samuel, with uncanny skill, fought fearlessly. The rest of the guards leaped of the ship as this fiery explosion erupted from the darkness of the night. Samuel turned around and say the Navy ship burning as it was sinking.

The door to the deck with the cannons opened up, catching everyone's attention. Smoke oozed out as little John King came out of the smoke. Samuel looked John King square in the face

He smiled at Samuel with a grin, "Fancy new gun powder."
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Maria had climbed to her feet and ruffled John King's hair. "That's a good powder monkey. The Whydah is safe, men!" she shouted to the crew and there was a loud cheer, and then silence as they sheathed their weapons and headed back to their posts, awaiting their captain's orders to make for open waters. Maria turned to Samuel, pulling him aside for a moment. She was grateful for his help but still a little unhappy that he seemed to think she was incapable of fighting alongside him. "Samuel, love, you can't keep putting me ahead of the crew. You're the captain," she said quietly to him so the others would not hear, "your ship is your number one priority. I was doing fine," she said a little bit petulantly, wanting to prove herself to her husband, but she knew he'd probably saved her life. "But thank you. Now tell the men to make for open water, Captain, we need to get out of here before the Navy tries to muster more ships. I'll get some men and start repairing the damage."
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Samuel kept himself quiet as he marched over to the helm. He looked out over his crewmen/women and commanded,

"Lets, set sail men!"
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Maria sighed and turned, calling out men's names, men whose efforts weren't as necessary to getting the ship out of the harbor. She organized them into groups, sending some below decks to board up holes in the Whydah's hull and sending others up the masts to sew up holes in the sails. The men gave her a bit of grief as they always did, calling her "Mother Maria" playfully, but they knew she outranked them all and so they obeyed. They also knew that she would organize them properly and efficiently, moreso than they'd be able to do if they'd been left to their own devices. As the men worked, the Whydah soon hit open water and every man breathed a sigh of relief. She was a fast ship and out here, no one would be able to catch her.

When she was satisfied that all the repairs were being handled, Maria went back up to the helm where Samuel was still standing, looking out over the moonlit water. She wrapped her arms around him from behind and hugged him tightly. "Everything's in order, Captain," she said. Then she came around and leaned on the railing facing her Pirate husband. "Samuel, when are you going to stop being afraid of me fighting?" she asked. It wasn't a challenge nor was it disrespectfully said, but hopefully. "I am as much a member of your crew as any of these men and women and I want to be treated as such, especially when the Whydah comes under fire. We're pirates, Samuel, fighting is part of our lifestyle and I knew that when you sailed me away from Eastham harbor those years ago." She sighed and turned to look out over the water. "I can fight, Samuel, and when these times come, I don't want you to send me belowdecks. I know I'm a terrible shot, but you know I'm a dab hand with a cutlass." She turned back to Samuel, resting her hand on his on the wheel. "If you are going to risk your life against the Navy, let me fight along side you. I had to wait for your return for nearly two years, and it was the lonliest and scariest time of my life because I never knew if you'd be returning to me in once piece." Her look was a pleading one that said, Don't make me go through that again, waiting belowdecks while you fight the villians on deck.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 8:41 pm

Samuel looked outward at the open sea. It seemed as though he was ignoring Maria. His jaw dropped slightly to speak,

"I don't supposed you'd believe me if I told you its heart-wrenching to see you in danger. Yes, you can handle yourself just fine but do you know what I see? I see my Maria at the brink of death. A close encounter at the port, a second away from being a daggers trophy."

Samuel took a deep breath...
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Maria's tone softened and she reached out to caress Samuel's cheek with her hand, turning his face gently so he'd meet her eyes. "I know, Samuel, believe me I do - I have the same feeling watching you fight. I worry - one wrong move could mean the end, not just for you but for any of us. It's a dangerous lifestyle, we all know it. Hell, even John King understands that any minute aboard this ship could be his last. But my love, if I am to die on the Whydah, I want it to be defending her, by your side. Not below decks hiding from gunshots and cannon fodder." Maria kissed her Samuel softly. "Since the moment I met you, Samuel, I wanted to be part of your life. It was heart-wrenching to watch you sail away to make your fortune. I wanted to go with you. I want to be part of your life, even the messy bits, the scary parts, everything." She smiled softly and pulled back. "Besides, Captain, I'm your first mate! It is my duty! If something should," she choked up slightly, "happen.... to you, I'd be the one who'd have to give the orders, lest the men be left without a leader." She took Samuel's hand in hers and kissed it. "A pirate's life for us, love, we are in this together."
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Samuel walked away into his office leaving Maria concerned and worried she might have said something wrong. He slammed the door behind him loud enough that some of the crew turned to look at what might have been going on. Maria wanted to pursue...
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Maria looked at the closed door, worried, concerned, and wanting to go in and make Samuel talk to her, but she didn't want intrude either. She bit her lip, fighting back tears of concern and frustration and then looked at all the crewmen who were staring the closed door and at her. "Nothing to see here," she barked, "Get back to work." The men shrugged and went back to what they were doing. It was only to be expected, having a husband captaining their ship with his wife on board. There was some grumbling and some snide jokes made, but Maria ignored them, taking the wheel and steering them northward. In the coming week they were to catch a trade ship coming out of England, so she knew where she was supposed to be heading. Then she leaned over the banister again, sighing. She would not let the men see her teary eyes, so when she heard footsteps behind her she blinked rapidly before turning. It was John Julian, the unofficial third mate of the ship.

"Are you okay, Maria?" he asked, keeping a respectful distance in case she wanted to be left alone.

"I'm fine, Julian," she said, not unkindly but appreciating his concern.

"The Captain doesn't want you fighting, does he?" Julian asked, making his way over to the maps to check their course.

"No, he doesn't, and that is his choice to make, as Captain," she said. She wasn't angry, but still a little frustrated, but the cool salty night air had cleared her head a little.

"Indeed. And, Maria, can you blame him?" he asked her, shrugging. "The Captain hasn't told me much of his story, of what got him into this life, for it's none of my business, but your his wife, and I know that he rescued you from something quite scary - though I don't know what. He's always been concerned for your safety."

Maria sighed and nodded. "I know, John," she said, glancing again at the door of the Captain's office.

"You want to go talk to him, don't you?" Julian asked her.

"I do, but I don't wish to disturb him."

"You won't know if it's a disturbance unless you knock," Julian said with a small smile, before heading back to the main deck to keep working.

Maria nodded and decided he was right, walking over to the door of the Captain's office. Her eyes still stung with unshed tears but she continued to try to blink them away. She stood there stiffly, not knowing what to say, raising her hand to knock but pausing, trying to figure out what to tell her Samuel.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:12 pm

..."Come in"...
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Maria walked in and stood by the door, closing it behind her. She froze up slightly, not knowing what to say to her husband, afraid that she had only upset him. She bowed her head like any other crew member would in respect for her Captain and said, "Captain, the repairs have been completed, the Whydah is back in top condition, though on our next supply run we shall need to pick up some more repair tools, as she sustained fair damage from the Dauntless. The night shift is at work, and everything is in order. Our heading is East by Northeast and we make for the north Atlantic to be in place for when the merchant ship Tradewinds sails from England next week, if taking her cargo is still our plan." She had run out of things to report and continued staring at the floor.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 pm

"Enough with the formality Maria." Samuel said staring at the map and jotting down notes.

"Do you want to sit?" Samuel kicked out the chair across from him quite gingerly making it slide smoothly giving Maria room to sit if she wished.
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:33 pm

Maria kept her head down and walked over to the chair, not sitting but instead standing behind it, her hands resting on its back as she stared at the table. "I apologize, Captain," she said, not being able to drop the formality as she was still trying to control her emotions, "for my insolence and for questioning your judgement. This is your ship and what you say is law here. I won't question you again. I'll leave you to your work," she finished and turned to leave.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 pm

"Maria," Samuel called out, "do you know why I refuse to let you fight?"
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Maria sighed and turned to face Samuel again. "No, Samuel, I don't," she answered. "I know you worry, but beyond that, I don't know why."
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Samuel stood up and walked over to the windows of the office peering out to the ocean.

"I grew up without a mother Maria." Samuel sighed and continued looking out the window, "She died giving birth to me, and my father had to raise me alone. He did a wonderful job though he worked as much as we are at sea. My father was killed by bandits, whom as you know I have hunted them down and they are now at the bottom of the beautiful seven seas. However, that is not the life I want to always have. I think about my parents often, wondering if they would be proud of me, wondering what Sunday breakfast would be like out on the peer. I always wondered what it would be like to be at home with mother waiting for father to come home for us to have dinner by the candle light."

Samuel sighed and his hands clenched tightly around his wrists,

"A family Maria, a family." Samuel continued after taking a hard deep breath. "I want a family, our own little boy or girl or both or twins of one of each. I don't want our children to grow up without the other or without either. Look at John, the kid has no family but us. You don't think I worry about him regardless of the risk he is completely aware of. My dear Maria, I don't want anyone's life lost. Especially yours for the sake of our future family."

Samuel bowed his head sighing miserably...
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 pm

"Oh Samuel," Maria said with a sad sigh. She walked over to him and tentatively put a hand on his shoulder. "I know what it's like to be robbed of a family," she said quietly, "and I want one as badly as you do. I know you worry about something happening to me, but I hate to see you fighting without me by your side. I had to be away from you for too long, worrying about your safety." She looked out over the ocean, her eyes tearing up at the memory of all the days she'd spent out on the dunes, scanning the horizon for her love's ship, always worrying that it would never come back. Her eyes got lost in the moonlit waves. "We've amassed a great deal of wealth, Samuel, more than enough to live comfortably... and if that's what you want, then maybe it is time for us to think about settling down somewhere." She imagined a life back on land, and it seemed strange to her. "But I know that the sea is one of your great loves, and I wonder if you'd really be happy living a life off of this ship. And where would we go? We're both wanted up and down both coasts that line the Atlantic."
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 pm

"I hear there is an island of the southeast coast of Australia called New Zealand. From what I hear its quite the beautiful place to live." Samuel stated, "We could retire the ship, and we can split the money so everyone can get a new start. We could adopt John. and--"

Suddenly the office doors broke open and Julian barged in. Samuel turned to look as Julian entered.

"Captain," he said panicked, "you need to see this."

Samuel turned to Maria, then back to Julian and asked, "What is it?"

Julian in a sweaty panic urged the captain on deck to take a look for himself...
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 11:03 pm

Maria had been caught up in the daydream of living freely with her husband and making a family of their own on the coast of a southern island, until Julian rushed in. See his panic, she instinctively had a hand on the hilt of her cutlass, ready to draw it. She caught Samuel's glance and followed him out onto the deck to see what was causing so much panic.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:11 am

Samuel came out of the door way with Maria closely behind him. He skidded to a stop as he saw the clouds darken around this specific area in the distance.

"What is going on!" Samuel called out as the winds grew almost as if it was a hurricane.

"I don't know sir, but it seems highly unnatural." A crewman called out.

"You don't say!" Samuel hollered over the sound of the winds.

"Aaahh!" A cry was heard as John was sliding on the floor towards the front of the ship, Samuel instinctively withdrew his rapier and punctured Johns pant leg pinning him down preventing him from moving.

"Maria!" Samuel called out, "Where are we headed!?"
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:18 am

Maria fought her way through the winds up to the helm where the maps were blowing violently under their weights. She held them down with her hands before shouting orders to the crew, having to shout very loudly to be heard over the horrific wind. "Tie up those sails, men, but tie yourself down first! All hands, batten down the hatches, we don't want to lose any cargo or men!" Men scrambled frantically to tie themselves to lifelines before scurrying up the masts to try to bring down the sails which we blowing violently in the gale force winds. If they couldn't bring them down, the wind could very well bring down one of the secondary masts in minutes, or damage the main mast. She examined the maps and the compass, and though their heading head been East by Northeast, they were being blown much more northward now. She looked up to catch glimpses of the stars between the brewing storm clouds and realized they were already many miles off course.

"Captain, we're being blown too far north," she called to Samuel, waiting for orders.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:25 am

"Maria! There are isles in the distance, we cannot be heading north!" Samuel bellowed over the winds.

Samuel tried to make out what he could in the dark and it appeared to be a structure of some sort slightly shimmering in the moonlight.

"Maria, rescan the map!" Samuel grabbed John and a rope holding on tightly so they don't get blown over.

John was clutching tightly to Samuel's arm.
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:32 am

Maria flipped through the map as best she could without losing them in the wind, constantly looking up to check and recheck the positioning of the stars and looking back at the compass. She was a fair hand at reading maps though she was not the ship's navigator, but she knew she wasn't wrong. She'd spent too many nights on the dunes examining the stars and waiting for her Samuel's return to be confused by the star positioning now. But it didn't make any sense. They were heading north, but there shouldn't have been any islands in their view at all, not with how the stars were lining up.

She fought her way back down the stairs to the main deck where Samuel and Julian were standing, at one point being blown violently against the banister by a strong gust. She could feel a bruise forming already as she winced but she made her way to Samuel, holding tightly to part of the rigging so she'd not be blown overboard. "It doesn't make sense, Samuel, I swear by the stars that we're being blown Northward but there shouldn't be any land in sight at all!"
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:38 am

Samuel clutched Maria, pulling her into him to hold her and protect her, "Maria, this is impossible, there are no islands the east coast of American to the West of Europe!"

The wind and created this vortex sucking upward but as quickly as it was created it stopped. The wind had died but the clouds in the distance still looked dark and ominous. Samuel was baffled.

"Maria...are you absolutely certain we are heading north?" She nodded in reply, as Samuel continued, "Impossible. Geographically impossible. We couldn't have gone south, that's not the Caribbean. Hm, (Samuel studied the area from the distance they were at.) alright men, set course for the isles. We will explore this mystery."

Maria, John, and Julian looked at Samuel with a look of refusal...
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:54 am

Maria was grateful that the storm was over, but to investigate whatever strange thing was occuring, whatever those isles were, could lead them into unecessary danger and take them off course for their planned plundering of the English merchant ship. But she shared Samuel's adventurous spirit, and she couldn't help but be curious as to the whole situation. "You heard him," Maria said to the crew. "Unfurl those sails again, we make for the islands!" She went back up to the helm and Samuel followed her, while she examined the maps again, looking back up at the stars. "Are you sure you want to do this, Samuel?" she asked him while the crew worked. "We may miss that ship out of England if we do. But by the looks of it, those islands will only take about an hour to reach."
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 12:56 am

Samuel did not say anything to Maria as he walked over to the railing of the ship and peered out to the isles.

"I need a crew to go with me. I need an excavator, a medicine man, as well as a navigator. Who is with me?"
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2011 1:04 am

Julian, who was a remarkable navigator partly due to his Native heritage, and adventurous little John King both shouted "Aye!" immediately, as well as several other men including a medic named James Ferguson. "I'm going too of course," Maria said as she grabbed the wheel to keep their course steady toward the isles.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 am

An hour had passed since the storm and the ship was close enough to the isles that Samuel ordered an anchor to be dropped and they make the rest of the trip by row boat. As the little row boat was loaded up with Julian, John, Maria, Samuel and a medicine man named Kontomble. The boat made its way to the isles. As the center of this mysterious area came more into view, a massive white marble with gold statues and gold accents all over this what appeared to be a temple.

Samuel stood up and looked in awe. He turned to Maria, "Do you see what I'm seeing?" He then directed the same question to the rest of the crew.
Back to top Go down
AdminMutePoetess
Owner
Owner
AdminMutePoetess

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Maria sat up a little straighter, surveying the sight before her in awe. It was beautiful. "What... what is this? How can no one have ever found this before?" She turned to Samuel. "Why wasn't something like this on our maps, Samuel? What do you suppose it is?"

The other crewmen blinked in awe as the little rowboat struck shore.
Back to top Go down
Samuel
Co-Owner
Co-Owner

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2011 2:30 pm

Samuel leaped onto the shore line, announcing,

"We should probably head directly north, the waters seem to be shallow enough to cross by foot. It might take some time to cross through the vegetation so make sure you are armed at the ready. The land does not seem inhabited so we shouldn't come across any people."

Samuel turned to his crew and his lady, "My lady, lads, we might have made the biggest discovery the world will ever see. Maria, how functional is our compass?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memories in an Apple Orchard   Memories in an Apple Orchard I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Memories in an Apple Orchard
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Court of Pirates :: Role Play :: The Court Of Pirates (RP Forums) :: Mainland :: Salem-
Jump to: